Requisition # 17-0010: Archives Assistant (part-time temporary position)
About the American College of Surgeons
The American College of Surgeons is a professional and educational organization of surgeons that was founded in 1913 to raise the standards of surgical practice and improve the quality of care for surgical patients. The College is dedicated to the ethical and competent practice of surgery. Its achievements have significantly influenced the course of scientific surgery in America and have established it as an important advocate for all surgical patients. The College has more than 80,000 members and is the largest organization of surgeons in the world. For more information, visit www.facs.org.
Summary: This individual is responsible for completing a part-time temporary archives project aiming to update essential metadata in a large number of records held in the College's archival database. Completion of the project ensures that the records are accurate and appropriately searchable for patrons of the ACS archives.
This assignment is expected to take 25-30 working days, and the hours can be spread out over several months to accommodate a student’s schedule.
This Non-exempt position will report to the Archivist in the Division of Member Services.
• Update metadata in records to accurately reflect archival standards.
• Search archival database for records that need to be updated.
• Check questionable database records against physical records to ensure correct information.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and/or Experience:
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
• Coursework or working experience in archives, enabling a basic understanding of archival concepts and metadata required.
• Experience using and editing archival databases preferred.
• Knowledge of Eloquent Software preferred.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) necessary to effectively interact with all levels of organization.
• Attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Must be able to multi-task.
• Strong computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Self-motivated and able to work independently and as a member of a team.
Physical/Work Environment: Fast paced with significant people interaction. No lifting over 20 pounds, minimal reaching bending and stooping. Normal office environment with long hours in front of the computer.
The American College of Surgeons is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (312) 202-5000 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
The American College of Surgeons will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities
To apply: http://tinyurl.com/zf2fx8t